Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Fishing

Fishing has always been an a favorite past-time for my family. My father used to take me when I was a small boy to the James and Finley rivers to fish. Yes, I can still remember my first fishing pole. It was a spiderman kids pole that didn't effectively catch fish for me. My dad would let me practice with his, but I just kept throwing it in the water. I finally got the hang of it, or should I say a hold on it, and began my fishing career. Some people might say, "fishing is boring" but there is a peace about casting your line, while waiting for that bite. I have always found it calming to fish. No matter what is going on in my life, I can have complete control over my fishing experience. Patience is not a virtue of mine, but fishing is different somehow. I find myself at peace with the world while fishing. I recently took my son to the river and showed him how to fish. I couldn't help but think about my father and how I was keeping the tradition going. My son was more excited about throwing rocks in the water. All in due time. He will get the hang of it just like I did. It's not about the fish you catch, it's about the memories made and the appreciation of the sport.

 My son went fishing with his great-grandpa and caught his first fish a couple days ago. Although I wish that I was there to see it, I am happy for his accomplishment of catching his first fish. There will be plenty of time to catch fish in the future. I can't wait to take my son on our next fishing excursion.  I guess after we get the art down, we can move on to skinning and preparing the fish to eat.

2 comments:

  1. Fishing is an important time for my husband and his father. They love to go out on Tablerock lake and fish. Our oldest son doesn't really care for fishing, but our youngest is so excited for when he's a little bigger and able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed fishing ever since you were little. It's indeed a wonderful activity to do with the family. Sometimes, being close to nature helps us relieve our stress and temporarily forget about our problems. It's great that your son enjoys it too, just like how you did with your father. Thank you so much for sharing, Denton! I hope to hear more fishing moments from you. Good day!

    Andrea Wilkins @ Getaway Outdoors

    ReplyDelete