Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Fantastic field trip

July 7

I took my son to Fantastic Caverns on a father-son field trip recently. I ask my son if he would like to go spelunking at the caverns and he said "I go in cave daddy." My son is almost four years old, so I thought it was time to enlighten him on the mysteries of subterranean culture.  This was one of my favorite places to go as a kid, so I guess I got something out of it too. At first he was scared to go in, but after we were looking at stalagmites and stalagtites, he was in awe. I forgot how cool the tours are at Fantastic Caverns. My sone kept saying, "Ooh, pretty horns!" He is really into dinosaurs, so I guess every pointy thing looks like a horn to him? I quit trying to explain and just enjoyed the time with him. He's only a little dude, I'll have plenty of time to explain later. When we got out and walked around, he kept trying to tell other people, "I am a dragon and I'll eat you." Ok, this is kind of embarrassing, but you've got to admit that it's pretty darn cute. I guess my son has my imagination. Maybe that is the reason we get along so well? I apologized and all was well. The people were good sports. No matter how well you try to guide your child, they are still "a child." What are you going to do? My son didn't want to leave and ask if we could live there in the cave. I laughed and said that we have moved on from that, and re-directed him with a promise of ice cream. Parenting is 90% bribery. In the end, we made a lasting memory and got our fill of ice cream. I think it is important to make memories that your child will cherish. They are only kids once, enjoy it while it lasts. Unless he's like me, I never grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment